Re: [OT] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: community spirit

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: community spirit
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 07:01:42 +1100

> The bloated crazy approach is promoted in the industry press in the
> form of which projects get the most attention and in terms of what
> kind of attention they get (and, as a matter of history, that press
> attention does /not/ follow consumer uptake -- it precedes it).  That
> industry press is in turn controlled by members of the same social
> clique of execs who are checksigning for the crazy approach:  Does it
> make me paranoid to think that the press and those execs share a
> common reality-perception bug wrt. how software works?

I was just about to say that - I think there is a belief that the way
they are going is the quickest/ cheapest way to create what users (other
corporates in large part) want/"will pay for".

So I think I'd agree that it's a perception bug.

> Such frugal and serendipitous parsimony is great (and lucky) when it
> works ("ain't i clever?") but it is a sentimental fantasy to believe
> that such cleverness should compete, alone, against the market and
> social forces constructed by the current checksigners.  Such

Simple greed and/ or "perception of need for financial survival" of
respective signers. Unfortunately.

> deploying?  Where I come from, we call that kind of engineer a "tool"
> and we do everything we can to wake them up or else regretfully beat
> them back with a stick.  Even if that "everything" is sometimes pretty
> humble and gentle like a flame on g-a-u.

Beatings welcomed :)