Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: trained dependency

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: trained dependency
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 20:15:27 +0900

    Zenaan> Obviously you don't agree with the thesis,

I agree with some parts of the thesis, in particular that (1) the
current system does a poor job of educating, as opposed to schooling;
(2) we know how to do significantly better on a small scale; and (3)
there are some vested interests that oppose reform because it would
harm them.  But, yes, I disagree with (4) all opposition to those
actual reform proposals we've seen (Gatto apparently doesn't have one)
is motivated by venial self-interest, (5) it is obvious how to achieve
systematic improvements, (6) it is straightforward and inexpensive to
scale the successful examples, and therefore with (7) we need to scrap
the current system before we know what will replace it.

    Zenaan> and equally obviously, I can't put into email format what
    Zenaan> I guess (given my poor performance) you could only get by
    Zenaan> reading the books.

You might also conclude that you're a lot more persuasive and
analytical than you give yourself credit for, and the problem is that
you have applied your abilities insufficiently carefully to the
contents of those books, and have swallowed a specious argument whole.

That's always a possibility, you know.  I don't think it's true of me
in this case; you certainly haven't given me any real reason to worry
yet.  But it's possible.  Can you admit the same, and take an honest
look at what we've both written?  Then come back and address the
points where we differ, instead of getting all crazy about points
where we're in violent agreement?