Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: trained dependency

From: Frank Pohlmann
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: trained dependency
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 22:55:32 +0000 (GMT)

> If you can get the top 10% of the people in a
> country to spell words
> correctly with reasonable frequency and add numbers
> with more than two
> digits in them and get the right answer, then you're
> doing better than
> most countries.

I am not quite sure which statistics you are using,
but I consider your comment fairly polemical. I have
lived in quite a few countries and travelled to about
40, but I hardly ever found this impression to be
accurate.

> The US has difficulty getting the top 10% to
> identify a word when they
> see it.

Oh, come on. There are quite a few countries on this
planet with 40 % illiteracy - India being one of them
- so please, get a grip. I know that the US public
school system has its share of problems, but I find
this comment unhelpful.

*Disclaimer: I am a German citizen living mostly in
the UK and sometimes in India. I lived in the US for a
while and found California rather congenial. And
funnily enough, they can read and write there.

> encountering people who are noticably capable until
> you get down to
> around 1%ish)

Literacy and numeracy are important, but I dont think
your concept of ability is particularly inclusive.
Example: if I get hit by a car and end up in hospital,
I would like someone to empathise with me. This is a
very rare ability, but important in many professions.

-frank

> --
>   .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux ** | Andrew Suffield
>  : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |
>

> ATTACHMENT part 1.2 application/pgp-signature
name=signature.asc