Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: trained dependency

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: trained dependency
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 22:38:59 +0000

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 01:04:56AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Andrew> The Japanese school system is exceptionally good, by
>     Andrew> comparison to other countries.
>
> You couldn't prove that by my students, and they're in the top 10%
> nationwide.  If this is "exceptionally good", then it's not just
> American education that has problems.

If you can get the top 10% of the people in a country to spell words
correctly with reasonable frequency and add numbers with more than two
digits in them and get the right answer, then you're doing better than
most countries.

The US has difficulty getting the top 10% to identify a word when they
see it.

(Be wary; "top 10%" is a really *huge* slice of the population and
most of them are still going to be pretty dim. You don't start
encountering people who are noticably capable until you get down to
around 1%ish)

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |