Re: Tagline tagging failings -- Was: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla mv gets me

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: Tagline tagging failings -- Was: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla mv gets me an error next commit
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:51:55 -0600

Karl O. Pinc wrote:
[...]

I'm not impressed with taglines, for reasons given in a previous email.
I'm not asking everybody to give up taglines, I'm asking everybody
who uses taglines to give up on fixing the partial commit problem.
(At least in the vaporware arch implimentation of my imagination.
Which surely has little to do with as I'm an arch newbie.)
And if you use explicit tags, you get a fix for partial commits.

Well, you only get a fix for partial commits if you start keeping track of moves. Which arch is unlikely to do. Actually Miles solution for partial commits is likely to be better, provided you have the inventory file that exists in a revision library.

Basically what Miles said is that when you do a partial commit, if something looks like an add or delete, you check it's id. If that id existed in the revision, you check and see what file it was associated with, and include that in the limits.

That solves the problem without ever having to worry about keeping track of explicit rename/add/delete actions.

I'm not sure how you could do a delete with a partial commit, probably just specify the old filename.

If you don't like tagline, that's fine. Do remember that tagline allows you to also specify explicit ids (since you might have binary files in there). For me, it's pretty easy to remember what files are what. Everything that can be is tagline, binary, visual studio project files, etc, are not. I rarely need to rename these. More often is just creating and deleting them.

John
=:->