Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:47:42 -0500

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 01:24:05PM -0800, Dustin Sallings wrote:
>       I prefer tagline myself, but I don't really buy the ``mv'' argument
> because it cannot be made to apply to every file equally, whereas ``tla
> mv'' can.
>
>       This is not an example of tla being easier to use.  To the contrary,
> it's an example of darcs being easier to use, in that there's only one
> way to relocate a file in any given tree.

I think it's more of the old "learning curve vs. efficiency" argument.  Once
you're used to taglines (especially within a given source tree), they are
generally nicer, but beginners seem to be afraid of them, and I suspect much
of this is because of precisely this feeling of uncertainty -- unfortunately
taglines often cannot be used for every file in a source tree.

Of course it would be better if "tla mv" and "tla rm" did `the right thing'
for taglines as well (that is, fall back to an ordinary "mv" or "rm" for
files using taglines; I don't know if they do this yet), which would allow
beginners to come up to speed more quickly.

Of course you can use something like `tla-update-ids', which generally does
the right thing for both taglines and explicit tags.

-Miles
--
I'd rather be consing.