Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 09:21:15 +1100

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 08:24, Dustin Sallings wrote:
> On Nov 18, 2004, at 9:38, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
> >> I would say it would be as easy as building one that could run 'tla
> >> mv'.
> >> :)
> >
> > But if you use taglines, `mv' is all you need ;-)
>
>       That's not true.  You cannot, without exception, relocate any
> arbitrary file in an archive with mv, even if you know that the project
> uses tagline.
>
>       I prefer tagline myself, but I don't really buy the ``mv'' argument
> because it cannot be made to apply to every file equally, whereas ``tla
> mv'' can.
>
>       This is not an example of tla being easier to use.  To the contrary,
> it's an example of darcs being easier to use, in that there's only one
> way to relocate a file in any given tree.

This is something I strongly believe to be worthwhile from a users point
of view - where it makes sense of course, have only one way to do thing.
Only have multiple mechanisms when you _need_ them.

I personally prefer a unix-like command subspace, as in tla mv, tla ln,
tla cp, etc. Having to remember which operations are "tla" commands and
which are plain unix is unnecessary thought-overhead, in my opinion!

cheers
zen