[Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla

From: Mark Stosberg
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:08:17 +0000 (UTC)

On 2004-11-17, John A Meinel <address@hidden> wrote:

> Sure, but there is also scripts for automating adding taglines. There is
> a script in tlacontrib called "add-tagline.py" which can traverse a tree
> and add appropriate taglines to files.

I used one of these myself, and recall the feeling of having extra
overhead to get started on a project.

Little tools like this can have more overhead than it seems. If used
infrequently, then their names and command syntax can fade from memory.

I was also frustrated because the Unique IDs weren't being generated the
same on FreeBSD and Linux, so I ended up with different styles of the
taglines in the project.

I actually liked the idea of taglines when I first learned about them.
They seemed a good solution, worth the overhead of adding them to files.
I also related to Colin Walters later comments that he wasn't has hot
on them as he used to be.

I have come to appreciate with darcs not have to manage these at all.

> mv and darcs mv are about the same. But you can't use a GUI navigator
> and have it run darcs mv.

I would say it would be as easy as building one that could run 'tla mv'.
:)

>> darcs get http://www.abridgegame.org/repos/darcs/
>>

> Good to know, but why isn't it part of the official page? Going there
> gives you the index page, and no indication of how to get the source.

Because we were waiting for that valuable feedback from someone like
you. :)

Seriously, I help maintain the website and will add this somewhere. It
does seem 'obvious' now you mention it.

    Mark