Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:17:18 +0000

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> I think it's more of the old "learning curve vs. efficiency"
> argument.  Once you're used to taglines (especially within a given
> source tree), they are generally nicer, but beginners seem to be
> afraid of them, and I suspect much of this is because of precisely
> this feeling of uncertainty -- unfortunately taglines often cannot
> be used for every file in a source tree.

I never felt that.  I just don't want to add a tag to every file in
the source tree---even if I could persuade my colleagues that it made
sense (and I doubt I could).

Now, if other version control systems had adopted something similar
(and especially if all agreed on syntax), then there wouldn't be a
problem.  I think that's what Tom hoped would happen.  But it doesn't
seem likely.

> Of course it would be better if "tla mv" and "tla rm" did `the right
> thing' for taglines as well (that is, fall back to an ordinary "mv"
> or "rm" for files using taglines; I don't know if they do this yet),
> which would allow beginners to come up to speed more quickly.

But if someone's happy using "tla mv", "tla add", "tla rm" all the
time, then adding tag lines to all the files is surely a waste of
time?