Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Please recommend a simple open source Unix for arch

From: Gustavo Córdova Avila
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Please recommend a simple open source Unix for arch
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:18:14 -0600

Andrew Wilcox wrote:

I'm looking for a suggestion for a simple, modular, open source Unix
to run arch on.  With no extra cruft, packages, install scripts, or
"helpful" user interfaces.
[.....]
I think I remember Tom saying sometime that he liked FreeBSD.  Or was
it OpenBSD?  Anyway, that's what I'm looking for, a suggestion for a
simple, modular open source Unix to run arch on.

Thank you,

Andrew Wilcox

What you want is Slackware.  Just boot from the install CD,
pick the packages you want and go get a cup of coffee (or tea, or
choco).  You'll get in the end a functional installation.

The configuration and initialization scripts are very BSD-like, clean,
everything works out-of-the-box beautifully.

I've had my run-ins with Debian, Redhat and Gentoo, and definitely,
nothing beats Slackware for cleanliness, tidyness, and sheer
simplicity.  Packages are distributed as tar-gz files, with an utterly
simple shell script which performs any needed post-install tasks, very
easy to clean up in case you need to do this manually.  I'd think that
TLA's way of managing patches is very Slackware-like, everything is done
with standard tools, no meta-magic needed.

I definitely recommend that you try out slackware, I don't think you'll
be dissapointed.
--
 Gustavo Córdova Avila  <address@hidden>
<mailto:address@hidden>