[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Please recommend a simple open source Unix for arch

From: Anand Kumria
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Please recommend a simple open source Unix for arch
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 01:46:08 +1100

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:43:04 -0500, Andrew Wilcox wrote:

> I'm looking for a suggestion for a simple, modular, open source Unix to
> run arch on.  With no extra cruft, packages, install scripts, or "helpful"
> user interfaces.
>
> Few months ago I installed arch for the first time, took a used computer
> and installed a fresh version of Debian to run it on.  Why Debian?  No

[...]

> of open source volunteerism.  Anyway, I found the Debian install painful
> for a programmer such as myself... too many layers of "helpful" user
> interface (I'd rather just edit the config file, thank you very much),
> backports needed, Debian complaining I needed something when I didn't or

Wow. First time I've ever heard someone claim Debian was too helpful.  The
fact that you've indicated you've used backports leads me to believe you
installed 'woody' (Debian 3.0).

Which is even more amazing, since most people said of the installer
"primitive". Anyway, to each his own.

Cheers,
Anand