Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Please recommend a simple open source Unix for arch

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Please recommend a simple open source Unix for arch
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:34:18 +0900

    Gustavo> What [Messr. Wilcox wants] is Slackware.

I agree.

    Gustavo> The configuration and initialization scripts are very
    Gustavo> BSD-like, clean, everything works out-of-the-box
    Gustavo> beautifully.

Upgrades used to be another matter, which is why I switched from
Slackware to Debian (truth-in-advertising warning: in '96 or '97).  In
general, I found that Slack was very nice until I wanted to ask it to
track the configuration of my system, and then it gave little help.

If you've got one system to care for, and you mostly care only that
the current state of that system work, and you're of the opinion that
you'd really like to be building everything from scratch (including
deciding what configure flags to use) but that's a little too time
consuming, Slackware gave you exactly that back when I (reluctantly)
gave it up, and from all I hear from Slackware-using colleagues, it
still does.

Today I would probably use NetBSD instead of Slackware, though, as it
has more of the same than Slackware even.  But Linuces still do tend
to have more applications available than the *BSDs, and you should
make sure what you need is available there.