[Gnu-arch-users] Re: user id?

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: user id?
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:09:21 +1100

> tla archive-setup myProg--mainline--0.1
>
> gives me:
>
> * creating category address@hidden/myProg
> arch: no arch user id set
>
> yet there's no command to set my 'id'..
> tla my-id foo
>
> my-id: invalid id (foo)
>

> there's nothing in his tutorial on this and the documentation is sparse
> in this regard. Help would be greatly appreciated.

I got bitten by this "one command does setting, viewing _and_ deleting
thing in the past too.

The important thing to remember out of this is the help command, and to
read the help any time you get stuck.

In this case, "tla my-id" can also set your id. See help output below.

Good luck
Zenaan

$ tla my-id -H
print or change your id
usage: tla my-id [options] [id]

  -h, --help     Display a help message and exit.
  -H             Display a verbose help message and exit.
  -V, --version  Display a release identifier string
                 and exit.
  -e, --errname  specify program name for errors
  -u, --uid      print only the UID portion of the ID

With no argument print your arch id.

With an argument, record ID-STRING as your id
in ~/.arch-params/=id

Your id is recorded in various archives and log messages
as you use arch.  It must consist entirely of printable
characters and fit on one line.  By convention, it should
have the form of an email address, as in this example:

        Jane Hacker <address@hidden>

The portion of an id string between < and > is called your
uid.  arch sometimes uses your uid as a fragment when generating
unique file names.

The option -u (--uid) causes only the uid part of your id string
to be printed.