[Gnu-arch-users] Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: tla-1.4pre1 now available

From: John A Meinel
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: tla-1.4pre1 now available
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 10:33:30 -0600

Anand Kumria wrote:

There was some discussion on the devel mailing list about whether this
should be a phased introduction (i.e read new archives in 1.4, write old
by default; write new archives in 1.5).

But considering that anyone upgrading will also have to do an
archive-fixup, I think you should just make this change directly.

I thought this was a compatible archive-fixup. It just adds some files to the root level .listing file, which previous versions had accidentally left out.

There was a similar change in 1.3 (inode signatures) which meant I had to
upgrade all my developers to 1.3 as soon as it was released and there was
a single user of tla-1.3

Aren't inode signatures only in the local working directories. I know there was something about them being accidentally committed to the archive, but they should be ignored, as they only have meaning on your personal machine. (The inode on my machine does not correspond to the inode on your machine).

Now if you were using a shared revlib or something like that, then I could see that a working directory change would cause you to upgrade all of your developers. But I don't believe tla has yet introduced a forward incompatible archive level change in the 1.x series. I know it allowed spaces in filenames in 1.2.1 or so, which means that *if* you used spaces in your filenames, earlier versions couldn't read your archive. But that wasn't really an archive level change (as most were compatible), just an acceptable filename thing.

Also, fixing commit would be good. By that I mean:
        - not generate an empty log if $EDITOR is not set
        - not generate an empty log if import hasn't been done
        - not doing anything if signature generation fails

I'm all for these changes. I'm not sure what has been merged in.

Thanks,
Anand
John
=:->