Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] how to fix a bad log message?

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] how to fix a bad log message?
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 19:18:03 -0600

John Yates wrote:

Here is a half-baked idea...

It seems to me that arch has conflated two use cases:

1) committing work to an archive
2) publishing committed results to the rest of the universe

Not being an arch developer I can wave my hands and imagine
decomposing commit into two distinct operations.  Consistency
of mirrors would be achieved by having the code pulling a
mirror copy harvest only published changes.  (Ideally a user
updating a mirror could query some volatile/ephemeral state to
discover the existence committed-but-not-yet-published work.)

This would provide a well defined notion of what changes can
be undone and which only be reversed.

/john
I would argue that that is what private branches, development/release branches are for. If you truly want an archive that acts this way, create a private archive, and only sync it to a public mirror (either a separate archive you tag/merge with, or just a plain mirror, potentially with a limit) when you are ready to do so.

John
=:->