Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: how to fix a bad log message

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: how to fix a bad log message?
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:36:19 -0500

John S. Yates, Jr. wrote:
I understand the model.  I understand the purity/simplicity/rigor arguments.
But I also recognize that in the real world things are not nearly as clean
as you all want to make it.

Don't misunderstand me. I don't think that Arch's "mistakes are forever" model is a good thing. The decision to tightly couple branches and revision ancestry was a bad choice, in my opinion, and the results of this decision are responsible for much of the ugliness in the Arch UI.

Other models are possible that would make it safe to delete revisions, by ensuring that every revision has a unique name. Martin Pool's working on an RCS like that, and I have high hopes for it.

If you want arch to be widely adopted then it needs to accommodate real use
cases from users of increasingly lesser technical competence.

Agreed. I don't dispute the need for deleting revisions. I just don't see what to do. It would be a bad idea for the tool to encourage dangerous behavior. Especially since archive consistency problems may not be apparent for a long time after the damage is done.

One thing that's safe: when you delete a revision, tag its ancestor into a new branch, and continue development from there. (never commit to the old branch again)

In some cases, you actually need to delete a revision, e.g. if you commit a file containing nuclear launch codes. In other cases, you just want to undo the effect of a revision, and Arch does provide ways of doing that.

Even the most limited undo scheme could actually become a distinctive arch
capability, unmatched in most (all?) competing RCSs.

I agree. Some form of undo-commit would be very useful. But the Arch model doesn't provide for it. Rather than breaking the model to force it, I think it makes more sense to change the model to accomodate it.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology