Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: how to fix a bad log message

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: how to fix a bad log message?
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 05:02:31 -0500

>> I understand the model.  I understand the purity/simplicity/rigor
>> arguments. But I also recognize that in the real world things are
>> not nearly as clean as you all want to make it.
>
> Actually, in the 'real world', things are even cleaner, since everyone
> knows you can't go back to fix your mistakes, and there's no mailing
> list to request that feature on. ;)
>
> But of course you mean software management in the real world.  Do you
> have examples of when this proposed undo functionality is required?
> Examples where simply committing a reversal isn't sufficient?

While wearing my supermirror hat, I've had the rare occasion of people
asking me to remirror them because they commited proprietary company
work in a public place.

There's two other practical reasons.

Firstly, Arch could make a mistake (Imagine a problem in revlibs or
.arch-cache).  Without a way for the tool to replace a borked revision,
the user has two choices: either abandon the borked branch, or get
really good at fiddling with the archive format.

Secondly, companies that start off writing proprietary software, but
later open up, often want to clean up the language of commit logs prior
to opening up.