Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] how to fix a bad log message?

From: Adrian Irving-Beer
Subject: Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] how to fix a bad log message?
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 00:35:04 -0500

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 02:23:09AM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> This stubborn wrong-headed notion that you ever want to modify a
> revision once it's been created needs to stop. You don't. Whatever
> you're trying to do can and should be done in some other way.
> Usually by committing a new revision that changes the offending
> thing again.

Agreed 100%.  You've said it far better than I could have.

Arch is a revision control system.  It tracks revisions.  An arch
archive is a history of what happened when, not a step-by-step
tutorial on 'how to write a computer program'.  This misplaced sense
of perfectionism is silly.

When you wake up with a terrible hangover and your friends tell you
what a nut you were last night, you don't go scrambling for the 'undo'
function -- you make amends and move on.  But when time is just a
bunch of bytes on disk, everyone and their uncle wants to play with
history, consequences be damned.

Makes me glad nobody's figured out time travel yet...