Re: [Gnu-arch-users] commit going up the tree

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] commit going up the tree
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:53:28 -0500

martin f krafft wrote:

We are trying to make several parts of the global server
configuration changeable by normal users, and want to use arch for
revision control.

While trying to commit a change, one of my colleages noticed
something peculiar:

 address@hidden:/etc/moin$ baz status
 * looking for address@hidden/moin--main--0--patch-1 to compare with
 unable to create directory "/etc/,,new-pristine.1118941839.6165.2" (Permission
denied)
 PANIC: I/O error

Excuse me, baz, but what are you thinking? Why are you trying to
create a directory outside of the local repository???

Thanks for any hints.

I believe that when looking for a pristine, baz & tla both look in
nearby sibling directories. (The idea being that you are likely to have
multiple branches next to eachother with similar parents). It's an
optimization for people working with pristine trees, so that hopefully
it finds a copy more often, so it doesn't have to re-download data.

I'm guessing that when this fails, it creates the new pristine in a
parent directory.

There might be other reasons, but that's what I can think of. I don't
see a real reason to keep it, so it probably could be fixed.

The easiest workaround (and preferred method of working anyway), is to
use a revision library.
   mkdir ~/arch
   mkdir ~/arch/revlib
   baz my-revision-library ~/arch/revlib
   baz library-config --greedy --sparse ~/arch/revlib

By having a greedy revision library, whenever it is looking for a
pristine tree, it will create it in the revlib instead. And then it
knows to look there later rather than storing a bunch of pristines all
over the place.
The sparse just means that when it goes to get "patch-10" it doesn't
also keep patches 1 through 9.

John
=:->