[Gnu-arch-users] Re: commit going up the tree

From: John Arbash Meinel
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: commit going up the tree
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:46:33 -0500

Matthieu Moy wrote:

>John A Meinel <address@hidden> writes:
>

>>There might be other reasons, but that's what I can think of. I don't
>>see a real reason to keep it, so it probably could be fixed.
>>

>More generally, temporary files should be created in a temporary
>directory (/tmp or stg like $TEMPDIR).

Actually, because pristine trees are going to be moved underneath
{arch}, they probably should not be created in /tmp, because that may be
on a different filesystem. Pristine trees aren't meant to be truly
temporary.
I think the new-pristines should be created under {arch}. So that you
would get:
$wd/{arch}/,,new-pristine-blah

I believe tla & baz do use /tmp for some other files (like checking
signatures). Though it probably hard-codes '/tmp' rather than using $TEMPDIR
So for things that are truly transient, I agree, tla should use
$TEMPDIR, but for intermediate stages, it probably should just be right
next to where it will end up.

>>The easiest workaround (and preferred method of working anyway), is to
>>use a revision library.
>>

>Yes.

John
=:->