Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: commit going up the tree

From: John Arbash Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: commit going up the tree
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:23:23 -0500

martin f krafft wrote:

>also sprach John A Meinel <address@hidden> [2005.06.16.1953 +0200]:
>

>>I'm guessing that when this fails, it creates the new pristine in
>>a parent directory.
>>

>This would be a single reason making me want to ditch arch right
>here and now. It speaks of a hack, or at least of really crap
>design. Since it actually boasts that it uses hardlinks for the
>pristine copies, I don't really see why it shouldn't keep them in
>{arch} to make the archive be independent.
>
>Thanks for your reply and guess. Don't take it personal when I hope
>you are wrong! :)

When it is done, the directory is moved into {arch}. I'm not sure why it
is created in that particular place.

>>There might be other reasons, but that's what I can think of.
>>I don't see a real reason to keep it, so it probably could be
>>fixed.
>>

>I filed a bug against the two Debian packages (bazaar and tla).
>That should eventually make it upstream. :)

Posting here generally gets peoples attention, too.

>>The easiest workaround (and preferred method of working anyway), is to
>>use a revision library.
>>   mkdir ~/arch
>>   mkdir ~/arch/revlib
>>   baz my-revision-library ~/arch/revlib
>>   baz library-config --greedy --sparse ~/arch/revlib
>>

>Sure, this fixes it. *Another* step users must take before they can
>actually *use* arch.

Well, pristines are a little bit of a hack, they exist so that people
don't have to do as much setup. (I use them on my Mac, because Mac
hardlinks *suck*).

I agree that arch still exposes a little bit too much mechanism. The
argument for not creating a revision library for you, is that they keep
growing (there is no automatic pruning mechanism). But I think for the
user who doesn't really understand what is going on, it would be better
to have a directory that fills up, and then they can go figure out why
and how to shrink it, rather than having to be told at the start how to
set it up.

John
=:->