Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: baz bug: network-access despite local repo

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: baz bug: network-access despite local repo
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:21:29 +1000

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 09:32 +0200, Ulf Ochsenfahrt wrote:
..
> Why would it go looking for the ancestry anyway?

Because the local log files provide incomplete data: specifically you
cannot determine mid branch imports (supported by the protocol, and the
larch ui, not the tla or baz uis), and cannot determine the ancestor of
a version-0 patch, without recourse to the archive.

> In order to better support disconnected operation, baz should _never_
> silently do network operations when not explicitly asked to do them. I
> only have a slow (yet expensive) dialup line and that is already a pain.
> If the tools don't work properly without network, that is unacceptable.

I agree. Note that the ancestry snarfing only occurs during migration
from tla to baz - once it has as much as it can gather (and it handles
missing archives), it stops and won't dig further.

Rob