Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:48:46 +0200

   Contributors sometimes contribute poorly designed features that
   nevertheless satisfy some demand-of-the-day --- it's problematic to
   just accept those because it effects the long-term health of the
   project.

Then the maintainer should say so, and maybe suggest a different
solution.

   (1) is problematic when you get to the situation I found myself in:
   a fire-hose stream of problematic fixes from an uncooperative
   source.

You should simply reject those fixes (with a explanation of why).
Which you did.  And I don't blame you.

   How much time is a maintainer supposed to spend saying what is
   wrong, and being ignored, or fixing it themselves, before giving
   up?

Just ignore the broken fixes/features, there is nothing to fret about
if you have a bunch of people who are simply unwilling to listen.

   Maintaining a project takes up a lot of time/money.

I disagree, it takes a lot of patience though.

Anyway, this is a waste of time in my opinion.  These keystrokes could
have been spent on something else.