Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 18:31:02 -0400

> Depending on the goals.
>
> If we take the minimal goals, of keeping the current
> GNU Arch 1.x going, without aiming at solving some of
> the bigger problems like the Windows port and
> performance for Linux kernel-size projects, tla 1.x
> should be able to continue with much less work.  Of
> course it is not ideal to many people, but the current
> implementation is usable for many projects.

You're looking at four problems you'll need to solve:

* The storage mechanism is not right. This raises problems in hydra style
  form in several areas - history growth is the most biggest.

* The user interface needs a full redesign.

* The code base could really use a solid refactoring.

* The namespace decisions should arguably be removed.

* In my opinion, the merge concepts in Bazaar-NG should be looked at
  closely. Its a bit better than the mege in tla.

Btw, the first four of these are addressed in the revc spec.

> Tom, do you see that as something requiring much less
> efforts?
>
> And in the mean time, we hope someone will pick up the
> 2.0 codebase and continue with it.  Maybe Tom will go
> back to it.

That would be neat and much more promising than maintaining tla.