Re: almost newbie

From: Atte André Jensen
Subject: Re: almost newbie
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 23:40:49 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> > Hi again
> >
> > Now I proudly entered my first tune in lilypond. But I have a couple of
> > unanswered questions I wasn't able to locate in the reference manual.
>
> Maybe you've solve most of it now, but here comes some answer
> to some more of the questions.

You're right some are solved, others not.

> > 2) How do I get rid of the page number and the barnumbers?
>
> For the page numbers, see the FAQ part on Page Layout

That seems like at real hacky solution. Is there no way to specify right
there in the .ly file that you don'w want pagenumbers??

> > 3) Where do I tweak the font settings?
>
> Depends on what fonts you want to change.
> For the title, composer, a.s.o., see the same FAQ.
> For the fonts within the score (text annotations, chord names, ...)
> you set properties of paper variables in the Mudela file.
> The standard font sizes, for example, are specified in the
> file ly/paper20.ly (for the default 20pt staffs) and may give
> you some idea of how to change the result.
> Since the answer is so different depending on what you want to
> change (unfortunately), please come back with more specific
> questions.

Well I looked at that, and it didn't make much sense to me, maybe I should
look again... The two things that really needs tweeking is the font which
should be larger for my use (jazz fakebook-style sheets) for easy spotting
on stage. Rhythm section members might even consider the chords the most
important thing on the page so they should be as big as possible with
out dominating. The other thing is more a matter of (my (lack of)) taste,
but I think the composer is written with too large a font, should be same
size as "metre".

> > 7) How do I get text (the tempo in this case medium) in the upper left
> > corner??
>
> The page header is set in the LaTeX code, i.e. back to the same
> FAQ on page layout.

I solved that cleanly with

\header {
metre = "medium";
%... some more defs
}

which was ecactly what I was looking for.

> > 8) And what is the exact ln -s command that I should execute in order to
> > get rid of fonts in my working directory???
>
> Did you run texhash (possibly necessary to change to root to get
> the permissions) after you added the links? If you send me a copy
> of the file returned by 'kpsewhich texmf.cnf', I'll be able to
> give the exact answer, it all depends on your TeX installation.

Laura helped out on that one... Thanx again Laura :-)
--
Atte André Jensen