Re: still newbie

From: Atte André Jensen
Subject: Re: still newbie
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 23:12:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> > Hi
> >
> > I installed lilypond 1.3.84 (and guile 1.4) from the rpm's found on the
> > lilypond homepage, but I still haven't been able to test my setup, because
> > I don't have a working .ly file.
>
> There should be plenty of .ly files included in the RPM,
> look in /usr/doc/packages/lilypond/examples/ or something similar.

I downloaded the documentation since then, so...

> > Bad luck! So I tried the wtk-fugue2.ly (Bach Fugue in c-min) which
> > complained about the version of mudela so I converted it with
> > "convert-mudela -t 1.3.84" and ran lilypond on the output. Gave me a .tex
> > file which I ran into latex and got:
> >
> > ! LaTeX Error: The font size command \normalsize is not defined:
> >                there is probably something wrong with the class file.

Somebody informed me that lilypond -f ps is buggy (see below) so now I use
ly2dvi. Donno if it works on abovementioned file, but I suppose so. But
thanx anyway.

> Strange! What happens if you create a file test.tex with the following
> contents:
> ---------------------------
> \documentclass[a4paper]{article}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> Hello!
>
> \large
> this is a
>
> \normalsize
> test
>
> \end{document}
> -------------------------------------
> and run 'latex test.tex' followed by 'xdvi test.dvi'?

Then I get the attached output.

> > So I tried "lilypond -f ps" on the version cenverted .ly file instead and
> > got a postscript file which looked pretty, exept the text in the top was
> > missing and it didn't break the page so only what fitted page one was
> > visible.
>
> Yes, the direct Postscript output is in a very experimental stage.
> ly2dvi (or other TeX based processing) is the only practically
> useful way at the moment.

There you go. From then on I ran ly2dvi.

> > And what should I think of the feta-somthing.tfm and .600pk files
> > generated in the working directory??
>
> Check out the second last Q&A of
> http://appel.lilypond.org/wiki/index.php3?LilyPondFaqs
>
> I don't use RedHat myself, so I have no idea how the Liliypond
> RPM sets up these things.

Laura was kind enough to share her knowledge with me, so that solved the
problem...
--
Atte André Jensen