Re: HOWTO: lilypond-1.3.98 on windows32

From: James Hammons
Subject: Re: HOWTO: lilypond-1.3.98 on windows32
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 15:10:57 -0700

> Moving stuff around is not making it any simpler.
> All stuff (guile, tetex helper, lilypond) is configured to live in,
> and find other stuff in /Cygwin/usr/bin, /Cygwin/usr/share/... etc.
>
> ALso, the lilypond tarballs have lilypond configured for, and installed in
>
>    /Cygwin/usr/lilypond-x.y.z/bin,share
>
> etc., so that you can easily install, remove and have different
> versions alongside eachother (because you windows folk don't have a
> decent package manager).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's simpler in that you don't need
to install Cygnus *at all* in order to use the win32 version of lily on
windows.  And I'm able to keep different versions alongside each other as
well using this setup, switching between them easily by executing the
appropriate batch file.

Basically, I have a "lilypond" directory tucked away on my hard drive
somewhere that contains a "music" subdirectory (that holds the different
lily version setup batch files and .ly files that I & others have written)
and a "Cygwin.nn" subdirectory (that holds the latest win32 version of lily)
where nn is the patch level.  Since I generally purge the unstable versions,
I'm left with a nice set of compact, easy-to-switch-between lilypond
installs.  It may not be optimal from a unix point of view, but it's the way
that I like to organize things on my machine.  Your mileage may vary...  :-)

And yes, zip sucks and there is no decent windows package manager (at least
not a free one).  ;-)

-- Shamus

I guess I should add the following disclaimer to the end of my HOWTO:

THIS METHOD OF INSTALLING LILYPOND IS NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED BY THE
LILYPOND TEAM OR ANYONE AFFILIATED WITH LILYPOND.  IF YOU ENCOUNTER PROBLEMS
WHEN FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS OF THIS HOWTO, DO NOT BOTHER THEM.

Thank you, and good night.  ;-)