Re: installing LilyPond on NT from scratch with cygwin 1.1.4

From: James Hammons
Subject: Re: installing LilyPond on NT from scratch with cygwin 1.1.4
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 15:24:55 -0700

> 1. I've got c:\cygwin\usr\lily...\bin\lilypond.exe; running it from
> Windows just produces a window which closes too fast to read.

You can't double click on it and expect it to do anything useful.  You
either have to run it from a DOS box (mildly difficult) or from a Cygwin
bash prompt (somewhat easier).

> 2. I've got c:\cygwin\usr\bin\guile.exe, do I run it to install it?
> Where from?

You don't need to run it or install it (beyond untarring it); as long as you
have the "ice-9" directory installed in the default place you shouldn't have
to worry about it.  Otherwise, you have to set GUILE_LOAD_PATH to where that
"ice-9" directory is.

> 3. I've got geometry.dtx and geometry.ins in
> C:\texmf\tex\latex\geometry\. Issuing latex geometry.ins (as per W32-
> README) from DOS command line: program not found.

You have to have MiKTeX or something similar installed, and the place where
its binaries are installed in the system's path.  I'm not sure where that
would be on Windows NT, but on Windows 9x the path is "c:\texmf\miktex\bin".

-- Shamus