Re: LilyPond 1.3.148

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: LilyPond 1.3.148
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:41:44 +0200

> > - Would it be difficult to include automatic downloading of Python
> >   and MikTeX if they're not installed?
>
> Yes, that would be fairly difficult.  We could tar-up a fresh python
> installation and a fresh miktex installation, and put those tarballs
> in the install repository.  We'd loose registry settings (is that
> fatal?), and checking for pre-existance not automatic.  Also, we'd
> have update these miktex/python trees.
>
> I'm inclined to vote for separate installs (all the user has to do is
> click on a link, and answer some quetions), and include Cygwin
> versions of tetex and python when they're done.  Having lilypond
> really ready to run after running setup could be good too.  My
> judgement in windows things is often off, what do you think?

I shouldn't be hard to let the Lilypond installer run the
install programs of MiKTeX and Python. Now we know how to
check from the registry if they already are installed.

However, I think the main problem for Jérémie and other
first time installers was to know which version of the
programs were compatible and also to know how to verify
that the installations of MiKTeX and Python and geometry
were correct. All this is mainly a matter of having a
clear documentation possibly including some simple test
cases.

    /Mats