Re: LilyPond 1.3.148

From: Jérémie Lumbroso
Subject: Re: LilyPond 1.3.148
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:55:06 +0200

> > > I shouldn't be hard to let the Lilypond installer run the
> > > install programs of MiKTeX and Python. Now we know how to
> > > check from the registry if they already are installed.
> >
> > Hmm, that's what I thought, but when it turned 4am, I went to bed.
> > Anyway, the good news is that I've added all these as tarballs to the
> > repository, and wrote some commands to set essential registry entries.
>
> Seems like a silly idea since there are officially supported installers
> available for these programs. Also, if someone has spent half an hour
> downloading a Lilypond-specific MikTeX  version over a modem line and
> later wants to use MikTeX for other TeX:ing, he'd want the official
> MiKTeX anyway.

What could be done, I think, should be to download the comp-
lete MiKTeX package,  and launch the installation after the
Lilypond setup is done. Of course, Jan's solution seems mor-
e plausible if those "tarballs" are really a lot less heavy
than the full 25 Mb MiKTeX 2.0 package. It's obvious why so-
mebody using a modem line, and wanting only to use Lilypond
would prefer such a solution. If really that's a problem, w-
hy can't an additional package, that installs every other c-
omponent of MiKTeX that wasn't installed during the Lilypon-
d setup be provided?

> > The bad news is that it doesn't really work yet, it seems that python
> > needs more registry entries to know that it's running on windows.  Or
> > maybe it's a different problem altogether.  Lily,tex,yap,gsview seems
> > ok, but ly2dvi barfs.

The first solution that comes to (my) mind, would be to hav-
e the bash installation script generate an exported registr-
y value file (the *.reg managed by Regedit) and have it ins-
ert all needed values for Python into the registry. It does-
n't require much work. I attached a file that should set ev-
ery key necessary to Python, but I haven't any way of testi-
ng it.  I'll explain what the paths are, though I doubt you
need help.

I installed Python in the following path :
C:\Program Files\Musique\Lilypond\Python\

All the keys that follow the [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.py] comman-
d are relative to the file extensions management, and aren'-
t really required though very practical for Windows (and fu-
rther uses of Python, non-Lilypond-wise). In fact, this sho-
uld act as a sort of environnemental path variable setting,
at the exact same title as the old SET PATH function,  just
specificly for Windows. There are no other means to erase t-
he keys for deinstallation than regtool. The following keys
must be deleted :

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Python
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.py
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pyc
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.CompiledFile
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pyw
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.NoConFile

I hope this information is of help, though I doubt it's wha-
t you needed.

> The Lilypond installer shouldn't have to write anything in the
> registry, right?

If Python is acting up because of unproper register setting-
s, I'm afraid that's an obligation.

Jérémie Lumbroso