Re: LilyPond 1.3.148

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: LilyPond 1.3.148
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:47:54 +0200

> Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I shouldn't be hard to let the Lilypond installer run the
> > install programs of MiKTeX and Python. Now we know how to
> > check from the registry if they already are installed.
>
> Hmm, that's what I thought, but when it turned 4am, I went to bed.
> Anyway, the good news is that I've added all these as tarballs to the
> repository, and wrote some commands to set essential registry entries.

Seems like a silly idea since there are officially supported installers
available for these programs. Also, if someone has spent half an hour
downloading a Lilypond-specific MikTeX  version over a modem line and
later wants to use MikTeX for other TeX:ing, he'd want the official
MiKTeX anyway.

> The bad news is that it doesn't really work yet, it seems that python
> needs more registry entries to know that it's running on windows.  Or
> maybe it's a different problem altogether.  Lily,tex,yap,gsview seems
> ok, but ly2dvi barfs.
>
> All setup stuff is now done in /etc/profile.d scripts.  We'll have to
> move the install/registry part to /etc/postinstall/ scripts (a feature
> of the cygwin installer).  This is nice, because it means that we can
> script all installation stuff in bash, and possibly generate dos
> wrappers that need no intelligence.

The Lilypond installer shouldn't have to write anything in the
registry, right?

     /Mats