Re: A GNU Distribution

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: A GNU Distribution
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 03:14:12 -0400

    There was a graphical interface to portage named Himerge. The project
    is not maintained anymore, but I know it was usable in the 2008/2009
    years. The tool was convenient enough in allowing to browse in the
    portage tree and control all actions of *emerge*, the command used to
    manage portage . It was just an interface, with no feature added to
    *emerge*. It was the graphical way to interact with *emerge*.

The alternatives include dselect and Ubuntu's package mgr.
This is another.  Since they are all free, and all just front-ends,
I think we should choose the most convenient one.

I don't know whether dselect and Ubuntu's package mgr
depend on some features of .deb packages.

Meanwhile, I just read about Nix and it sounds really great.
Does it have a downside that isn't obvious?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation