gnue

Re: An Analysis Pattern for Inventories

From: Derek A. Neighbors
Subject: Re: An Analysis Pattern for Inventories
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 10:46:21 -0700

Pattern is a solution for some kind of generic problem .It 's an
abstract from concrete context.
   According Christopher Alexander ,, "Each pattern describes a problem
which occurs over and over again in our environment, and then describes the
core of the solution to that problem, in such a way that you can use this
solution a million times over, without ever doing it the same way twice" .
   So, it's a principle or thought we can apply in concrete context rather
than a patend.When did we pay money for principle or thought?
   Of course we can't republish it without permission.In fact it's not
neccessary to apply it without any modification.

A few notes... In America people do 'own' thoughts and ideas, however unfortunate. It could be via copyright and or patents. Having to ask 'permission' restricts freedom, as we are at the mercy of the 'copyright' holder as to how we can use the work. For GNUe this is a risk proposition, because it puts us in harm's way if copyright holders wanted to prevent GNUe from succeeding down the road.

I think we all agree patterns are good, we just have to be careful. I do not claim to be an expert and would gladly ask our general counsel (Eben Moglen) his opinion on using copyrighted patterns to design things.

-Derek