Re: [gnugo-devel] reading connections

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] reading connections
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 23:46:14 +0200

Dan wrote:
> It would be simple to add timing commands to play_gtp.c.
> These would require that a timer be explicitly started
> and later checked so the gtp command file would have to
> contain these commands.

I don't mind adding timing commands to play_gtp.c, but I don't think
we want to sprinkle the *.tst files with those. A regression script
could of course automatically add such commands between the test cases
before forwarding them to the engine.

> There is another way this could be done without having
> to insert these commands into the file but it would
> require modifying gtp.c. There would be a ``timer mode''
> in which the time for each command would be written to
> stderr.

Sounds rather impractical and quite ugly to me.

> Neither of these would be hard to implement. The second
> might be deprecated because we try not to change gtp.c
> too much. It is the X11 licensed file. I would guess Gunnar's
> Pike script is intended to circumvent this problem.

Not really. This is something that is best handled in a regression
script. The script then has full freedom to decide how the information
should be presented.

/Gunnar