Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: cgoban1 maintainership

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: cgoban1 maintainership
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 07:15:21 -0800

> FWIW, please file *ANY* bugs you find (like the shift-click item
> mentioned elsewhere in the thread) on the cgoban1 sourceforge pages.=20

I've posted a portion of the following message to your bug
tracking system.

Perhaps the shift-click business is not a bug. An approximation
to the behavior I would prefer is available with shift-click.

The current behavior in the tools menu:

* Clicking on an empty board location opens a new node and moves to it.
* Shift clicking moves to an existing node if it exists. Otherwise no effect.

In my opinion the following behavior would be more desirable:

* Clicking moves to an existing node if possible, otherwise opens a new one.
* Shift clicking opens a new node regardless and moves to it.

It is possible that some will consider the current behavior
preferrable to the behavior I would think better. I doubt it
though, because the first behavior is what you want except in
rare cases. Why create a new node when one already exists?
Yes, there might be cases when you want to do this but seldom,
I think.

I can't find the documentation for shift click in the on-line help
though a description of this behavior exists in a help string
somewhere in help.c.

Whether or not you want to change this I think the documentation
of the shift-click behavior needs to be available from the tools
help menu.