Re: Microformats and logical URLs -- mod_rewrite

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Microformats and logical URLs -- mod_rewrite
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 00:35:04 +0200

Victor Engmark wrote:
> >   gnuherds.org/Manage_Job_Offers.php
> >               /jobs?owner=me"
> >               /offers     * Maybe that is better?

> I think the "X" part of "/X?blah" should be the same as for applicants,
> since they are manipulating the same object type. On the other hand,
> "owner" can be misunderstood as being synonymous with both "applicant" and
> "employer". How about using "/jobs?action=edit&type=offers" for employers,
> and "/jobs?action=edit&type=applications" for applicants?
>
> The question here, for me, is whether the URL makes sense (and gives some
> useful result) if any or all of the parameters are removed. If not, that
> parameter should be removed (possibly in favor of changing the "X" part as
> defined above). I.e., are all of these useful:
>
>    - /jobs - Show all available job offers

>    - /jobs?action=edit - Edit both job applications and offers?

Of course it needs the 'id' of the job offer to edit.
       /jobs?action=edit&id=XXX

The problem is that the form to edit a job offer is absolutely independent
of the form to process the job offer applications. I propose:

       /jobs?action=edit&id=XXX - To edit the job offer itself
       /jobs?action=process&id=XXX - To process the job offer applications

However, see below.

>    - /jobs?type=offers - Show all my job offers
>    - /jobs?type=applications - Show all my job applications
>
> Looks like this could do nicely. What do you think?
>
>   gnuherds.org/View_Job_Applications_State.php
>
> >               /jobs?applied=yes
> >               /positions  * ???
>
> As above, I think.

Lets take a look again to a subset of the logic URLs:

  /job - Show all available job offers
        * action taken by default as "action=show"
        * type taken by default as "type=offer"
        * id taken by default as "id=all"
        * owner taken by default as "owner=anybody"

  /job?id=XXX - Show a specific job offer
        * action taken by default as "action=show"
        * type taken by default as "type=offer"
        * owner taken by default as "owner=anybody"

Maybe the below should show all the job offers, instead of all _my_ job
offers. It should raise the same operation than just "/job".

  /job?type=offer - Show all my job offers
        * action taken by default as "action=show"
        * id taken by default as "id=all"

Maybe, actually, it should be:

  /job?type=offer&owner=me
        * action taken by default as "action=show"
        * id taken by default as "id=all"

  /job?type=application - Show all my job applications
        * action taken by default as "action=show"
        * id taken by default as "id=all"
        * owner taken by default as "owner=me"

  /job?action=edit&id=XXX - To edit the job offer itself
        * type taken by default as "type=offer"
        * owner taken by default as "owner=me"

  /job?action=process&id=XXX - To process the job offer applications
        * type taken by default as "type=application"
        * owner taken by default as "owner=me"

Note as the plural is got only if 'id' value is "all". So, maybe we should
use:
    "type=offer"        instead of  "type=offers"
    "type=application"  instead of  "type=applications"
and even:
    "/job"              instead of  "/jobs".

Anyway, maybe it is better use "/jobs" because of it is a better tag?. What do
you think?

Object Oriented analysis
========================

  Objects
  -------

    jobs
      offers (job offers)
      applications (job applications)

    resume

    person
    company
    nonprofit

    register

  Parameters
  ----------

  action = [show,edit,process XXX]
  type   = [offer,application XXX]
  id     = [all, XXX]
  owner  = [anybody, me]

I would move "register" to be an action instead of being an "object".  I
suppose it is so main to be "/register" instead
of  "/person?action=register" . What do you think?

P.S.: The Klaus' architecture could use this same URL mapping in the
Controller (MVC). So we will need to use mod_rewrite only for the current
architecture, not the new one.

Davi