Re: Microformats and logical URLs -- mod_rewrite

From: Victor Engmark
Subject: Re: Microformats and logical URLs -- mod_rewrite
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 10:39:16 +0200

On 4/25/07, Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
Victor Engmark wrote:
> >   https://gnuherds.org/Timeline.php
> >                       /news or /timeline ???
>
> Depends on whether the suggestion to move the data into a separate news
> page is followed through.

The current Timeline page is separated.  Move what data?

Most of the data on the Timeline page is news. The work items which are not done should probably be Savannah tasks (are they already?). How about linking the Timeline page only from the "Status: Beta" text? I think that's a better targeting of the audience interested in this kind of thing. Casual users won't be looking for this information in the main menu - It's for people interested in the project, not the functionality.

> >   https://gnuherds.org/FS_Business_Networks.php
> >                       /business or business_networks  ???
>
> After having a look at the page, I believe the current name is misleading.
> It's just a collection of links to sites related the same kind of activity
> GNU Herds does. I'd use "/links" for that page.

No, those activities are not carried out by GNU Herds. They are business
networks or ways to set up one, which we know about. Maybe we should use
something as     /business_network_models  ?

That's long, but maybe it'll do. I believe this is another example of information the casual users won't be interested in, and as such, it should be moved off of the main menu.

> >   https://gnuherds.org/e-Voting_SIG.php
> >                       /evote ???
>
> This could be part of a general FAQ.

Yes, but moving it, we will get an empty o removed "Special Interest Groups"
section. Maybe it is convenient. I am not sure.

Do we want the "Special Interest Groups" section? Do we need it? Are users gonna go there?

> It looks as though a lot of the content could be removed:
>
>    - The links from the "Bringing free software to voting booths" article;
>    just link to the article itself, if necessary.
It is good we link to the reference from where we have take the information.
Isn't?

Sure, but that's enough information. The current page also contains copies of links within that document, which is unnecessary.

> >   https://gnuherds.org/Person.php
> >                       /person
> >
> >   https://gnuherds.org/Company.php
> >                       /company
> >
> >   https://gnuherds.org/non-profit_Organization.php
> >                       /nonprofit
>
> All these should IMO be at "/register", with a single link from the front
> page, as discussed .

This will take some work. Therefore it will not be so easy add this to
production. First we will have to fix this kind of thing.  Anyway, I like how
directly you get an specific form for fill all the Person, Company or
non-profit data.

Yep, but our front page should be as lean as possible, to make sure prospective users are immediately aware of where to go to register. It's two fewer links on the front page, at the cost of one extra click for those users who are trying to register.

As a mitigating measure, I propose we change the registration links from "New X?" to "Register X." That way it's clearer what we mean.

> >   https://gnuherds.org/Qualifications.php
> >                       /qualifications
>
> How about /experience? That's the word used by the hResume microformat.

That page does not only keep experience, it keeps too academic qualifications,
languages, desired contract, location, certification if they are enabled, ...

Maybe qualification is not the right word, but I think experience does not fit
too. I think qualifications is better.

What about "resume" or something similar?

That's much better - Accurate and short.

> >   https://gnuherds.org/Manage_Job_Offer_Applications.php?JobOfferId=XXX

This is to show all the candidates of a job offer, and be able to set her/his
state to: "Received", "In Process", "Ruled out", "Finalist" or "Selected".

Maybe this?  "/jobs?action="">

That's good, but it's really candidates which are being managed. How about "/candidates?action="" It's longer, but IMO more clear.

> >   https://gnuherds.org/View_Qualifications.php?EntityId=XXX
> >                       /view_qualifications?EntityId=XXX
>
> How about just "/qualifications?id=XXX"?

What about "/resume?id=XXX"?

OK.

> The general idea of the suggested URLs is that each type of object has its
> own path (e.g., "/jobs"), and different parameters to define actions (e.g.,
> "?action="" and filtering (e.g., "?id=XXX" and "?applied=yes").

Cool!. We can follow improving it.

P.S.: I have been overloaded. The next month you will see as sometimes I will
be unable to reply quickly.

Added task: https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/index.php?6819

Sweet!

--
Victor Engmark
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur - What is said in Latin, sounds profound