Re: Microformats and logical URLs -- mod_rewrite

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Microformats and logical URLs -- mod_rewrite
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:42:46 +0200 (CEST)

Victor Engmark wrote:
> Davi Leal wrote:
> > The Timeline is a general view of the project *roadmap*, not a detailed
[...]
> Awright, maybe it should be called "Roadmap"?

Sure!

> > I think that even when we finish the beta phase, there will be always a
> > roadmap, a timeline, at least to show an abstract of what we have done,
> > and to ask, "And now what?" to get ideas.
>
> Yes, but that's not of interest to general users. IMO, we should cater to
> users in the first place, and have a single link for everything that only
> those interested in the project itself would use.

Could we use the harcker's guide as that single link?. We could move the
Roadmap(Timeline) to such section.

> > The task "Move to offices managed by FSF staff" was already registered
> > at savannah as "Move to another hosting".
>
> OK, then I propose to remove it from the footer.

Done!

> > I think the menu must list always all the information which is at the
> > website. That is accessibility too.
>
> You don't want to have all information available one step from the front
> page. That's gonna be more information than anyone would care to read.
> Accessibility doesn't mean you have to have links to everything everywhere -
> In fact, simplicity is a major part of accessibility.

I understand now!.

> > Maybe you mean that this information must be only shown to the logged
> > users?.
>
> No, it should be available to those few who are interested in the project per
> se, not just as a service to them. But preferably not at the cost of several
> links in the main menu which will be useless to the general public, which is
> our primary audience.

I understand.

> That will be shown only by our actions, not a page on our website.

Agreed.  Could you add a Savannah task to move the e-Vote section to
the FAQ?

> > Our intention was to list all the possible e-voting options at our page.
> > So listing the options was the main goal. We just added the reference to
> > the article from we got those e-vote options.  Do you think yet it is not
> > right?
>
> The only issue is that there are links on the site which have been taken
> directly from some article, plus a link to the article itself. Unless we
> quote the article, there is no need to include a link to it.

I have removed the reference to the article. Now we just lisk the options.
Let me know what you think.

> OK, good. How about renaming the parameter "type" or something?
                    /register?as=person
                    /register?as=company
                    /register?as=nonprofit

What do you think, "type" or "as"?

> The way I figured was that everything on the site is related to jobs, so
> unless we're dealing directly with them, we should point out which kind of
> object we're handling. This form will be fundamentally different from the
> one used to create job offers.

OK, so we will use what you have proposed:

          "/candidates?action=edit&job_id=XXX"

> Apropos, maybe it's better to change "/jobs" to "/offers" or "/positions",
> since there is already some ambiguity WRT the semantics of "/jobs".

Let's view all at one again:

  gnuherds.org/GNU_Herds_Hackers_Guide.php
              /development

  gnuherds.org/FS_Business_Networks.php
              /business_network_models

  gnuherds.org/Lost_Password.php
              /password

  gnuherds.org/Person.php, etc.
              as exposed above

  gnuherds.org/View_Job_Offer.php?JobOfferId=XXX
              /jobs?id=XXX

  gnuherds.org/Qualifications.php
              /resume

  gnuherds.org/Manage_Job_Offers.php
              /jobs?owner=me"

              /offers     * Maybe that is better?

  gnuherds.org/View_Job_Applications_State.php
              /jobs?applied=yes

              /positions  * ???

  gnuherds.org/Job_Offer.php?JobOfferId=XXX
              /jobs?action=edit&id=XXX

  gnuherds.org/Manage_Job_Offer_Applications.php?JobOfferId=XXX
              /candidates?action=edit&job_id=XXX

  gnuherds.org/View_Qualifications.php?EntityId=XXX
              /resume?id=XXX

Davi