Re: If it is possible, avoid complexity

From: Victor Engmark
Subject: Re: If it is possible, avoid complexity
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:59:23 +0200

On 4/23/07, Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
Victor Engmark wrote:

So, should I reconfigure apache to get just a gnuherds.org.  To avoid
losing bookmarks with this specific modification, we can do a redirect
from www.gnuherds.org to gnuherds.org

Sounds great!

>       - Don't include protocol and site name when linking to the same
>         site. I.e., links should be of the form "/blah", instead of "
>         http://gnuherds.org/blah". This is already done some places, I
>         believe.

While I was updating the source code to use always HTTPS, I removed that
'full' URLs.  However as the site-entry-point directory is always the
same, I even removed the '/', being "blah" instead of "/blah". Right?

If the target is in the same directory, the "/" is unnecessary, yes.

Just a comment:  "/jobs"  or "/jobs/".    The former?

The latter. I first thought the former was OK, since the server (correctly) resolves it to "/jobs/", but I found an article a few days ago which explained that this actually takes a few more cycles at the server, since it has to figure out whether you're referring to a directory or a file.

> These tips can be easily done with mod_rewrite (anyone using old bookmarks
> will just be redirected) and a couple renamings of files, and would be good
> SEO and usability practice.

So, we will modify the webapp interface in the Klaus new architecture,
but keep backward compatibility using mod_rewrite. Isn't it?

Yeah, that should work fine.

It would be cool if the Klaus' architecture offers that new interface as
default, without the need of mod_rewrite. So, more clean.  Anyway, the
main goal is get it working.

A transitory solution is not much work (since we still have few pages), and it could be a goal to work towards - E.g., move FS_Job_Offers.php to /jobs/index.php, change the URLs, replace the URL redirection with a rewrite, and remove the latter when the logs show nobody is using the old URL.

--
Victor Engmark
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur - What is said in Latin, sounds profound