Re: Microformats and logical URLs -- mod_rewrite

From: Victor Engmark
Subject: Re: Microformats and logical URLs -- mod_rewrite
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:21:54 +0200

On 4/25/07, Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
Victor Engmark wrote:
> Davi Leal wrote:
> > I think that even when we finish the beta phase, there will be always a
> > roadmap, a timeline, at least to show an abstract of what we have done,
> > and to ask, "And now what?" to get ideas.
>
> Yes, but that's not of interest to general users. IMO, we should cater to
> users in the first place, and have a single link for everything that only
> those interested in the project itself would use.

Could we use the harcker's guide as that single link?. We could move the
Roadmap(Timeline) to such section.

Sounds good!

> That will be shown only by our actions, not a page on our website.

Agreed.  Could you add a Savannah task to move the e-Vote section to
the FAQ?

Done!

> > Our intention was to list all the possible e-voting options at our page.
> > So listing the options was the main goal. We just added the reference to
> > the article from we got those e-vote options.  Do you think yet it is not
> > right?
>
> The only issue is that there are links on the site which have been taken
> directly from some article, plus a link to the article itself. Unless we
> quote the article, there is no need to include a link to it.

I have removed the reference to the article. Now we just lisk the options.
Let me know what you think.

Looks good!

> OK, good. How about renaming the parameter "type" or something?
                    /register?as=person
                    /register?as=company
                    /register?as=nonprofit

What do you think, "type" or "as"?

I'd use "type", since it can be used for other URLs. E.g., "/candidates?type=person" is understandable, but "/candidates?as=person" is IMO nonsensical.

  gnuherds.org/Manage_Job_Offers.php
              /jobs?owner=me"

              /offers     * Maybe that is better?

Some brainstorming:

I think the "X" part of "/X?blah" should be the same as for applicants, since they are manipulating the same object type. On the other hand, "owner" can be misunderstood as being synonymous with both "applicant" and "employer". How about using "/jobs?action="" for employers, and "/jobs?action="" for applicants?

The question here, for me, is whether the URL makes sense (and gives some useful result) if any or all of the parameters are removed. If not, that parameter should be removed (possibly in favor of changing the "X" part as defined above). I.e., are all of these useful:
Looks like this could do nicely. What do you think?

   gnuherds.org/View_Job_Applications_State.php
              /jobs?applied=yes

              /positions  * ???

As above, I think.

--
Victor Engmark
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur - What is said in Latin, sounds profound