getting money from sponsors and donations, for the GNU Herds project

From: Davi Leal
Subject: getting money from sponsors and donations, for the GNU Herds project
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 23:49:06 +0200

Antenore Gatta wrote:
> Taking a look on other projects I see that they receive more money from
> sponsors then from donations.
>
> To give you an example, at the moment, Apache Software Foundation is
> receiving 280K USD from different sponsors

> With this I don't want to say that donations are not important, but that we
> should focus our attention more on sponsors.

The GNU Herds project tries to help its users offering them:
  * job offers.
  * a mechanism without fees to do micro donations and payments between them,
    and allow them to get donations from non-GNU_Herds users.
  * ...

IMHO the GNU Herds project does not need to ask for money for itself now. We
have a good hosting for free.  Maybe later. I do not know.

> Apache Software Foundation is receiving 280K USD from
> different sponsors http://apache.org/foundation/thanks.html

> 2. SPI donation page <http://www.spi-inc.org/donations>

To receive money from SPI it is needed be a SPI member project [1].

  [1] http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/
        Reference from: http://www.spi-inc.org/donations

We could begin the needed conversations to get being part of SPI ...

> 4. Sponsored shirts, hats, cups, ...

IMHO we should not mess the project image with that.