Re: [Gomp-discuss] Plan ... coments wanted !

From: Diego Novillo
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Plan ... coments wanted !
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 09:39:17 -0500

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Steven Bosscher wrote:

> > They probably don't have concurrency-aware optimizers.  We
> > should.
>
> Isn't that maybe a bit too much of a good thing?  How much benefit do
> you expect from that, compared to the amount of extra work involved?

You don't *have* to do it.  The state of the art in optimizing
explicitly parallel programs is very primitive.  You do have to
leave yourself open for enhanchements, though.

> I looked at the OdinMP (http://vvv.it.kth.se/labs/cs/odinmp/) results.
> That is a "C to C-with-pthreads" compiler that takes OpenMP C source
> code and parallelizes it.  It's a really simple compiler, no
> optimizations at all.  So it's really just a preprocessor.
>
> And the results look very good!

Of course they do.  If you know what you are doing, no compiler
will beat hand crafted parallel code.  Particularly if the
algorithm is embarrassingly parallel.

> Such results would suggest that parallelizing *before* we lower GENERIC
> to GIMPLE might give us good results too.

Parallelizing?  We are not going to be parallelizing anything.
We are only going to be implementing the OpenMP #pragmas.

What we need to do is fairly straightforward.  Take the OpenMP
directives, create new tree nodes to represent them in GENERIC or
GIMPLE and write the transformation to libgomp.

Diego.