RE: [Gomp-discuss] Plan ... coments wanted !

From: Steven Bosscher
Subject: RE: [Gomp-discuss] Plan ... coments wanted !
Date: 29 Jan 2003 22:17:06 +0100

Op wo 29-01-2003, om 22:10 schreef Scott Robert Ladd:
> Biago Lucini wrote:
> > I'm perfectly fine with LinuxThreads and I realize that NPTL is a bit new,
> > but the problem is that gcc is not suppose to run just on Linux, so a
> > general threading model would be better.
>
> I agree. While Linux is a "convenient" target, I don't think we want to
> exclude other operating systems. One of gcc's strengths is its platform
> independence; we would likely get resistance from the gcc maintainers if we
> were to make OpenMP exclusive to Linux.

I think everybody agrees to that.  But Linux would be a convenient first
target.

Also, if we first try to make this work with LinuxThreads, it's actually
quite likely that it would work with any pthreads library. LinuxThreads
is almost pthreads compatible, there are a few minor problems that we
would have to watch out for.

But we have other things that need to be addressed first anyway :-)

Greetz
Steven