RE: [Gomp-discuss] Plan ... coments wanted !

From: Scott Robert Ladd
Subject: RE: [Gomp-discuss] Plan ... coments wanted !
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:57:40 -0500

Diego Novillo wrote:
> Java and Ada have their own concurrency, so OpenMP makes little
> sense for them.  I don't know about Objective C.

Ah... I'd forgotten Ada (it's been some time since I've used it). There's
some difference, however, between the target audiences of Java threads and
the people who use OpenMP. In particular, I note the following project:

http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/computing/research_activities/JOMP/index_1.html

In general, Java's threads are designed for interface concurrency, not
shared memory parallel programming. While you can write a parallel
application using Java threads, a directive-based approach is both cleaner
and easier for many applications.

..Scott