Re: [Gomp-discuss] Somethings to think about ....

From: Pop Sébastian
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Somethings to think about ....
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 01:27:11 +0100

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 11:51:05PM +0100, Steven Bosscher wrote:
> Op ma 10-03-2003, om 23:02 schreef Pop Sébastian:
> >I really think that
> > for the moment what we call GENERIC is what came out from C and C++ without
> > worrying much about other languages as Fortran, Java, Ada, Pascal, ...
>
> Well thank you very much :#

I'm sorry but that was true at the moment when GENERIC was designed :-(
and I think we'll not end with a suitable generic IR by just including nodes as
it was been done until now.  I really think we should base our work on a
standard
and avoid, if possible, to reinvent the wheel.

Sorry again Steven, I wasn't thinking bad when I wrote that statement.  I just
meant that GENERIC was mostly the union of the C and C++ front ends and that its
conception was mostly been based on the "empiric" discovery that front-end
representations could be factored to a generic representation.  Here it would be
a good time to formalize a little this GENERIC representation.  We'll just win
in
the adoption of this standard, since the most of the semantics documentation
would
be already there: the standard itself.