Re: [Gomp-discuss] Somethings to think about ....

From: Steven Bosscher
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Somethings to think about ....
Date: 11 Mar 2003 13:29:14 +0100

Op di 11-03-2003, om 12:57 schreef Biagio Lucini:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Lars Segerlund wrote:
>
> >   Now we have had a lot of frontend discussions, and is there a frontend
> > that emits CIL ? This would make it a bit easier for us to try out our
> > middle end with a CIL -> GENERIC translation. ( Please, I don't know
> > enough about this, this might be a good or bad idea ).
> >

> CIL -> GENERIC -> GIMPLE -> ....
>
> Isn't that becoming too complicated? After all, you need just one IR...
> How can this be dealth with?

Please people, let's stay on the same line of thought here!  We are only
be discussing CIL because:

a) Seb. coined that he wants to make a CIL *front end*.  CIL is
   just byte code.  And a CIL front end is just like any other
   front end:  The C front end does C->GENERIC, a CIL front end
   would do CIL->GENERIC.

b) CIL is a concurrency-aware IR that we can look at and learn
   from.  This is the "don't re-invent the wheel" part.

For all I care, we drop the (a) part now and go on with the more
relevant point (b) from here.

Greetz
Steven