Re: [Gomp-discuss] Somethings to think about ....

From: Pop Sébastian
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Somethings to think about ....
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:02:23 +0100

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 01:29:14PM +0100, Steven Bosscher wrote:

> a) Seb. coined that he wants to make a CIL *front end*.  CIL is
>    just byte code.  And a CIL front end is just like any other
>    front end:  The C front end does C->GENERIC, a CIL front end
>    would do CIL->GENERIC.
>
> b) CIL is a concurrency-aware IR that we can look at and learn
>    from.  This is the "don't re-invent the wheel" part.
>
> For all I care, we drop the (a) part now and go on with the more
> relevant point (b) from here.

I completely agree with Steven.
We're still on the same problem: implementing the OpenMP bits, and for
this we just need to see what the ECMA standard says about concurrency
aspects, for working in the right direction in the scope of further
developments.
(I remember Steven have said that we have to get the IR bits right from the
first shot.  This standard can guide our steps.)

For some of the aspects concerning threads handling you would want to
search (C-f) in the standard the sections dealing with it...
You will see that having a thread aware IR implies lots of constraints
even on the other constructs.

        Seb