Re: [Gomp-discuss] Somethings to think about ....

From: Pop Sébastian
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Somethings to think about ....
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:27:50 +0100

Sorry for the off topic,

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 07:50:51PM -0500, Diego Novillo wrote:

> Sorry I haven't been more active, but I'm swamped with work.  I'll try
> to add my thoughts to this thread later, but I couldn't let this one
> pass.  Moving GCC to use CIL (is that the name?) will be a herculean
> task.
Maybe, or maybe not.  I'm not speaking about implementing it from scratch,
all the front-end is already written by Mono people: it's all the bytes from
mono/metadata/* that we could reuse (if no licensing problems).  Then the
difficult bytes will be the translation of their "parsed trees" to GCC trees.
And this will bring in all the tree nodes with parallel semantics we need for
GOMP.

I'll not begin this work right now, but this summer, once the IV and dependence
analysis framework will be finished.

> And that doesn't take the political aspects into account :)
>
> I really think that this is way beyond GOMP itself.  If you want to
> propose such a change, you have to start a discussion on the GCC list.

The political aspects are those that could abort this project, but
I think that there are major interests in having a good GPL optimizing
compiler for CIL bytecode.

        Seb