gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Changing the GPS update rate with gpsd

From: Bo Berglund
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Changing the GPS update rate with gpsd
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 21:15:08 +0100

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 12:54:32 -0700, Deven Hickingbotham
<address@hidden> wrote:

>You may be correct on the kernel issue.
>
>However, my thinking was that on both Wheezie and Jessie I can change
>the GPS update rate.  I wrote a Python app that does this and I can see
>the confirmation response code and see the packets speed up or slow
>down.  All of this is done through /dev/ttyAMA0.  It is only when I
>restart gpsd that things go wrong under Jessie and 3.11.  So my
>suspicion was that gpsd might be now resetting the GPS in 3.11.

Or your script might not actually be able to do what you think it does
if invoked by systemd during startup of Jessie...

I have a similar problem where I have NOT registered gpsd as a service
on Raspbian Jessie (RPi3), instead I have created a boot script that
is entered into the boot sequence to start gpsd.

#!/bin/sh -e
#Need to wait past boot so everything is done
date "+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S" > /booted.txt
sleep 20
echo "Starting GPSD" >> /booted.txt
gpsd /dev/ttyUSB0 -G -n -F /var/run/gpsd.sock
date "+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S" >> /booted.txt
exit 0

Note the sleep line, I have used this to test various delays after
boot, but none works...

But even though I know for a fact that it gets executed (checked the
/booted.txt logfile) gpsd is not running after boot.
But if I then manually run the same script from the console gpsd
starts and stays running...

The problems with startup in Raspbian Jessie seems to be many and
yours and mine might be related.
I do not have a Raspbian Wheezy Pi to test on so I cannot say for a
fact that what does not work in Jessie will work in Wheezy.

My GPSD is built from sources and is version 3.16.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden