gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Changing the GPS update rate with gpsd

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Changing the GPS update rate with gpsd
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 14:34:36 -0700

Yo Deven!

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 06:43:13 -0700
Deven Hickingbotham <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 3/16/2016 6:52 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > Did you read the gpsd file build.txt?
>
> You got me!

We are not here to read you the instructions.

> I did install 3.16 over 3.11 (gpsd -V returns 3.16 after a reboot),
> but cgps -s never gets a fix and xgps displays:

Since you are trying to debug, why use -s?

It can take 30 mins for some GPS to wake from a cold start.  And
being inside can also prevent getting a good fix.

Are you outside and did you wait?

> So it appears that the old version needs to be uninstalled first.

Not really necessary, just be are carefull about which versions of the
programs you are running.  It is real easy to get different versions
of gpsd and cgps running and really confuse things.

Be especially carefull with things like systemd, or other startup
mechanisms that will be confused.

systemd and udev probabaly break the most gpsd systems.

> What is the best way to do this?

Not knowing how you installed it, hard or anyone to say.  I'm not a
Jessie user so I have no idea.  Read the Jessie doc.

> Is there going to be much of an advantage to using 3.16 versus 3.11
> with the -b option?  Sticking with 3.11 would be a lot easier ...

A lot of bug fixes.  It all depends on what bug gets you.

> Finally, is there a way to set the GPS update rate with gpsd or any
> of the gpsd related apps without stopping and restarting the gpsd
> service?

Non-trivial, but, depending on your GPS, you could use gpsctl to send
the commands to your GPS to change update rate while gpsd is running.
Which of course will not work in -b mode.  But I can't imagine why you
would care, just set your GPS to the highest rate you would use and
leave it there.

But be careful of fast updates, a lot of GPS use heavy averaging.  Turn
off the averaging and then you get a lot of location jitter.  So the
benefits can be illusory.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588